In Person Auditions
The Creighton University Jays Dancers team will host a preliminary clinic and one tryout session each spring to assess the skills, abilities and potential of interested and qualified candidates for one of the predetermined number of available positions.
Tryout sessions are intended to be low stress events. For that reason they are conducted in a practice-like environment during which the level of each candidate’s skills and talents, and their ability to work with current and prospective team members, will be evaluated. A short interview with the candidate will be conducted as part of the tryout session.
The preliminary clinic and tryout dates for the 2014-2015 team will be held Friday May 2 through Saturday May 3.
Both the preliminary clinic and tryout session will be held at the Wayne and Eilleen Ryan Athletic Center and D.J. Sokol Arena. Parking is available around the arena and the side of the street. Directions to the facility can be found here. The preliminary clinic is mandatory for all candidates. Check-in for the clinic will begin at 5:30 pm. The clinic will begin at 6:00 pm SHARP and will run until approximately 9:30 pm. Candidates will be issued a number upon registration, determining the order in which they will tryout. Tryouts will begin promptly at 8:00 am on Saturday.
If you are interested in trying out for the Jays Dancers and are an incoming freshman and intend on a campus visit, please ask the Admissions Office to schedule some time to meet with Alynne Wize, Moderator. (this is a nicety, not a necessity).
All new candidates must submit a completed tryout packet to the Creighton University Athletics Office prior to the tryout date. No one will be allowed to participate in the preliminary clinic or tryout session unless Creighton University has received a completed tryout packet prior to the pre-tryout clinic. ABSOLUTELY NO EXCEPTIONS WILL BE MADE FOR THIS REQUIREMENT! Returning Jays Dancers members will only be required to submit the Recruit Information Sheet, $20 processing fee and new head photo.
Minimum Qualifications for Tryouts
Persons who wish to tryout for the Creighton University Dance Team must meet the following minimum qualifications: (Please note that incoming freshman and transfer students have to be admitted to Creighton University in order to attend the tryout session.)
- If an incoming freshman or transfer student has completed the regular admissions application process before the posted deadlines, they must show proof of admission to Creighton University (copy of Letter of Admission).
- Have an overall GPA of 2.0 or above.
- Not be on disciplinary or academic probation.
- Have sufficient physical fitness, strength, and athletic skills to perform the activities described here.
- Have health/hospitalization insurance in an amount comparable to the minimum coverage offered through the University’s student insurance program.
- Have completed the tryout packet as described in the tryout packet section.