A panel of judges, along with the Moderator, will select members for the Creighton University Jays Dancers Team. Members will be chosen based on the following criteria:
Mastery of the following skills:
- double and triple turns (traveling and pirouettes center)
- calyso leaps on right side
- ala second turns on right right side
- split leaps on both right and left
- switch split leaps on both right and left
- second leaps on both right and left entrance
- switch second leaps (aiming for both right and left entrance)
- Dance foundational such as ballet and jazz, hip-hop and advanced jazz ability
- Toe-touches and basic motions
- athletic physique appropriate for required activities and routines; and
- ability to remember complex and fast-paced routines
- Strong leadership qualities
- Charismatic presence/personality
FRIDAY: The preliminary clinic will consist of warm up, technique and learning one 30 second routine and one 8-8 count routine; the perspective member will add another 4- 8 counts to this routine (this will be judged on Saturday). The 30 second routine will be judged on Friday evening and will carry a possible 50 points to carry in to Saturday's tryout.
SATURDAY: Each perspective member must be at the Ryan Center/Sokol Arena on Saturday morning (time TBA Friday). Perspective members will then be given a time slot on Saturday in which they must be in the Old Gym 20 minutes prior to. During the tryout session scheduled, the participant will be judged on the following elements:
Two eight counts (each) of high kicks performed facing the side and front.
Three toe touches
Split leaps on both sides (at least three of each, opening to the front)
Switch leaps on both sides (at least three of each, opening to the front)
Both left and right side splits (show motion of going in to splits)
Two Double pirouette- right side
Two Triple pirouette- right side
Two- eight counts of ala seconds turns- right side
- Turning Stag Leap right side
- Dance choreography, brought from home, containing both jazz and hip-hop elements, not to exceed 1 minute. You must bring your own music for this, either on CD or iPod.
- In addition to the 8- 8 count routine taught at the preliminary clinic, the perspective member will add another 4- 8 counts to this routine. The purpose of this is to judge the individual on creativity, ability to learn routines quickly and to see how well the style of dance is matched.
- "Let's Go Bluejays" chant.
- Singing of the Creighton University fight song. Find words and music here
***bonus points can be awarded for quadruple pirouettes, turning disk or turning russians, center splits and tumbling exercises and flexibility exercise (leg hold).
POINTS POSSIBLE BREAK DOWN
|Friday 30 Second Routine
|Total points possible
|total bonus possible
Interview questions/topics to answer include, but are not limited to:
- Why do I want to become a Jays Dancer?
- What do I have to offer to the program and the University